Peer Activity: Healthy nutrition
Search the web for nutrition prescriptions that are appropriate for your peer given his/her lifestyle and health status.
- Set a meeting with your peer and discuss each other’s experiences.
- Ask about his/her food shopping, eating, and cooking habits.
- Does he/she need to improve those habits?
- Is he/she overweight or obese? If so, use tools from this lesson to complement your recommendations. Be sensitive - weight is a delicate issue!
- Use motivational interview tools such as Open-ended questions, Affirmations, Reflective listening, etc., in order to enhance the probability of success.
- Offer changes if needed and ask for his/her thoughts on those changes.
- Assess ‘Importance’ and ‘Confidence’ - Can he/she add a small eating habit change to the Action Plan?
- Please write down the results in your Personal Health Behavior Change Worksheet and continue to follow each other on successes and challenges. Adapt as needed.
- Optional: write a summary of the visit and ask for your mentor’s reflections and feedback on it.